|ROLE: Optical Transport Designer
• Issue optical transport engineering plans that clearly explain and solve network capacity augments, customer requirements and integration reconfigurations. Update Optical Transport database (NRM)
• Interface and coordinate with other Rogers divisions primarily Wireline, Wireless and R4B peer departments such as engineering and implementations, project management and operations to ensure planning and implementation of design
• Own the requirements assessment and detailed Engineering plan design.
• Perform analysis of and recommendations for different transport technical options
• Integrate new sites into the transport network.
• Ensure that specifications/plans have been engineered to acceptable standards.
• Develop and present the engineering plans for transport network expansions/upgrades in a timely manner to allow implementation to be within specification, on time and within budget.
• Assist in ensuring engineering plans are well understood and carried out as specified. Identify critical issues and develop solutions.
• Assist in ensuring engineering plans meet network needs in terms of reliability and capacity, and ensure the Network is built for ease of use from an operations perspective.
• Provide engineering support for the Rogers Transport Network and the implementation of new engineering plans to Network Implementation and Network Operations. Investigate concerns regarding interpretation and implementation of network plans and network architectures.
• Assist in accurately documenting details of Rogers Transport Network topology.
• Assist in providing technical advice and coach project teams through network technical issues.
MUST HAVE SKILLS:
• Education experience should include Professional Engineering designation, undergraduate university degree in electrical/Electronics engineering or community college diploma with CET certification or equivalent. SCTE BCE, BCT, or BTS designation a benefit or equivalent work experiences
• 3-5 years of work experience with major Telecom Service Provider or Cable Operator in Network engineering while operations experience if any would be an asset.
• Knowledge of SONET will be key as this is a decommissioning project for TDM technology
• Advanced knowledge of Fiber Optic, SONET, DWDM, CWDM, Ethernet and Digital Video Transport technologies.
• Working knowledge of the design and implementation of telecom carrier network services such as Local/LD Voice, Private Lines, GbE, Internet, MPLS, Wavelength services
• Advanced knowledge in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Visio, Access); database experience
• Proven ability to work in cross-functional teams
• Ability to translate technical designs into high level network diagrams
• Excellent written and oral communication, prioritizing and relationship building skills
• Proven problem solving, analysis, planning, budgeting and forecasting skills
• Independent self-starter and quick learner who is able to work well under pressure and tight timelines
• Ability to present information and advice internal and external customers on proposed ideas, products or solutions.
• Ability to advise on technical problems and review work for technical accuracy and adequacy.
• Ability to act independently to determine methods and procedures on new assignments.
• Ability to provide technical advice and coach project teams through technical issues.
• Ability to make decisions and recommendations governed by general policy.
• Ability to modify established guide lines, advise new approaches, apply existing criteria in new manners, and draw conclusions from comparative situations.
• Ability to work from assigned objectives, relative priorities and critical areas that impinge on work of other units.