Role: Senior Network Designer
Reporting to the Manager, Engineering – Wireless Data Rating and Policy, the Senior Network Designer will be the technical Subject Matter Expert (SME) to drive the design, development, testing, engineering, implementation and evolution for Wireless Data Policy, DNS, DPI, Subscriber Profile Data Repository & Management and Cable Provisioning platforms to a cloud native environment.
Key Responsibilities and Job Functions:
• Take full accountability and ownership in all standard DevOps deliverables (design, integration, testing, troubleshooting) for wireless data Policy platforms, including but not limited to the following:
a) 5G Core Policy Platforms:
? NRF, PCF
b) DNS, DPI and Cable Provisioning Platforms:
? Subscriber profile Data Repository and Management Platforms
? Cloud Native (Docker/K8s) and hypervisor-based NFV environments and associated cloud tools
• Design, integrate and deploy next generation cloud native network functions based on Docker and Kubernetes (K8s), including in-depth understanding of container and VM lifecycles, connectivity, storage
• Utilize cloud and virtualization tools to automate workflows, CNF/VNF platform lifecycle management, issue troubleshooting, integration validation, end to end testing, and KPI reporting.
• Author technical engineering documentation (eg. Engineering Design Specification Documents, Acceptance Test Plans, Work orders and Method of Procedures (MoP) which facilitates configuration changes, software/hardware upgrades, validations, E2E service testing and platform integration.
• Assess technical requirements, solutions designs and provide engineering analysis, requirements and costs for the implementation and deployment of new services and platforms.
• Manage Vendor relationships to complete their deliverables of the solution. (eg. review of quotes, scope of work documents, solution requirements, design specifications, acceptance test plans, MOPs, and roadmap of platform evolution).
• Co-ordinate and work closely with peer departments (eg. Project Management, Network Operations, Network Planning, Product Development, IT, Engineering, Technology Development, etc…) for end-to-end service integration and implementation.
• Provide engineering input for technical solutions related to the deployment of new services and technology.
• Perform lab design, implementation, and validation to simulate changes in a controlled environment prior to production rollout.
• Provide troubleshooting support to Operations and peer technical teams.
• Conduct what-if simulations and bottleneck analysis to quantify the impact on network as a result of new services and technologies rolled out on network.
• Prepare presentations and reports to management as required.
• Work in a tight, highly motivated, team environment taking on leadership responsibility when necessary.
MUST HAVE SKILLS:
• Minimum 10+ years of technical experience across Wireless Networks and Cloud
• Minimum of 2+ years of hands on cloud computing experience.
• In depth knowledge of Any-G Wireless Core: 5GC/LTE/3G call flows and 3GPP architecture and its deployment and integration in large-scale carrier environments
• IP/networking (including Cloud Spine/Leaf), OSS, BSS (online charging, provisioning), Policy/PCF/PCRF
• Expert-level knowledge of 3GPP, ETSI and IEEE industry standards
• Experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Ansible, microservices, edge computing, orchestration, CI/CD pipeline integration and workflow automation in a cloud environment.
• Advanced troubleshooting skills for Cloud/IT Infrastructure are required.
• Experience with containerizing legacy applications into cloud native functions.
• Experience with Splunk, Grafana, Prometheus, Jaeger, EFK or ELK stack, software defined networking (SDN) as applicable to Wireless Packet Core
• Knowledge of IP routing in Cloud environments (Spine and Leaf solutions, BGP, OSPF, MPLS, CNI/K8s plugins), familiarity with the Best Security Practices for data networks and Cloud
• University Degree or equivalent in engineering/computer science discipline.
NICE TO HAVE SKILLS:
• Cloud certifications with Azure, AWS, and/or GCP would be an asset.
• Scripting (python, shell) and sysadmin skills on Linux environments: a strong asset
• Core Competencies include Innovative and Creative thinking, Problem Solving abilities, Adaptability and Initiative.
• Excellent communication, inter-personal skills, teamwork and collaborative abilities with proven ability to work in cross-functional teams and to work with minimal supervision.
• Proven ability to multi-task and deliver in order to meet tight deadlines.
LDAP (3), LINUX (4), PYTHON (3), DHCP (3)
EXCEL (2), POWERPOINT (2), RADIUS (2)