Our client is looking for a UX designer for a 12 months contract in Ottawa.
Their team is looking for a skilled user experience (UX) designer who is passionate about making complex healthcare systems simple and efficient to use, ensure they fundamentally support the medical professionals who depend on them and minimize error to maximise patient safety.
• Work with the customers and product management to:
- understand and clearly articulate business and customer needs, mental models and work paradigms in the healthcare domain
- define the overall GUI architecture, navigation and task flows to support user information needs and goals
- Iteratively create innovative, highly usable, technically feasible and aesthetically pleasing GUI designs with high customer value.
- Effectively articulate the designs via story boards or rapid prototypes
• Refine the designs with technical SMEs to ensure cost effective design solutions
- Be able to convincingly communicate the criticality of compelling user needs
- Provide effective input into appropriate UX bang for technical buck tradeoffs
- Work collaboratively to arrive at outside-the-box solutions that are technically feasible, cost effective and provide a superior user experience
• Review concepts with customers:
- Assist with organizing and coordinating to make sessions happen with product management, customer sales account primes or customer support primes as appropriate.
- Create concept collateral with guidance/feedback from product management and more senior UX staff
- Assist with providing responses to customers regarding questions on testing purpose, methods, set-up requirements and UX processes.
- Iterate the concepts based on customer feedback
• Deliver GUI design specifications across a complex product for the software development team.
- Provide direct support to software developers in making good UI detailed design decisions and tradeoff or provide expert guidance to more junior team members to do so.
• Assist with or prime formal usability testing (preparation and actual testing) of the developed feature with customer coordination assistance from product management or more senior UX staff.
- Ensure commitments to external or internal customers are met in a timely manner
• Provide input into innovations in the area of user experience design:
- Coach and mentor more junior UX staff and product teams on principles of user-centered design.
- Build and maintain relationships with business teams across Health teams to promote user-centered design
- Continue to develop skills and knowledge of latest UX trends and best practices
• Develop deep healthcare domain knowledge on clinical work practices for product areas.
Must to have skills:
1. Skilled in effective user interface design for complex software products (not just websites)
2. Skilled in responsive application design
3. Experience with the development processes such as agile and waterfall, as well as working with product managers and/or business analysts in turning business requirements into UX designs based in a deep understanding of user needs and workflows
4. Experience with concept testing with customers and key stakeholders
5. Must have design portfolio online to share with hiring manager (or at least using screen share during an interview)
6. University degree in relevant field (computer science, industrial design, psychology etc or university degree + at least 4 years relevant experience.
7. Goes without saying ….great soft skills (communication, collaboration etc)
Nice to have skills:
1. Ideally masters degree in human computer interaction, human factors, industrial design or related
2. Experience in designing for accessibility (AODA and WCAG)
3. experience with usability testing
4. Experience in using Axure
5. Bilingual (French/English)
• Strong analytic skills with demonstrated experience effectively designing complex systems
• User interface analysis and design skills including demonstrated experience with persona development, job shadowing, task flow development, information hierarchy and navigation design.
• Visual design skills:
- Ability to deliver effective wireframe concepts and visual designs
- Demonstrated understanding of human cognitive and sensory strengths and weaknesses and how to effectively design to support those strengths and weaknesses
• Attention to detail while ensuring higher level goals/tasks are supported across a product module or simple product.
• Experience with customer concept and usability testing
• Experience working effectively into both waterfall and agile development processes.
• You have effectively added feature capability to legacy products as well as designed responsive web applications from the ground up.
• Experience using design systems.
• Understanding of Web accessibility best practices and an ability to create accessible products
Required Skills & Abilities:
• Excellent communication skills
• Excellent presentation skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Ability to multi-task
• Excellent Teamwork and collaboration skills
• Rapid prototyping skills are a plus, especially with Axure
• Proficient with the Adobe creative suite tools
• French is a definite plus
• Ability to make effective business trade-off decisions regarding value of functionality to the user experience vs cost to deliver
Required Professional Designation/Certification:
• Minimally a University Degree specializing in Human factors, or Human computer interaction from computer science, psychology or Industrial/Systems engineering preferred
• Preferably a Master’s degree in human factors or human computer interaction in any of the above disciplines.
• 7 + years’ experience
UX designer will be working on a variety of UX design projects, responsible for understanding user needs, workflow modelling, concept development and reviews, detailed design specifications, support of development team and usability testing for complex health care applications used by clinicians and insurance companies.
Team size and environment:
Dynamic team of 12 UX designers