Reporting to the Manager of Transport Operations, the Platform Specialist -Transport Operations is responsible for effectively provisioning, SONET/DWDM backbone network for clients while ensuring network SLA commitments are achieved.
· Implementation, Engineering and Service Delivery.
· Perform provisioning functions as required for growth activities, and project work
· Interface with vendor Technical Assistance Centre’s for assistance in resolving escalated network outages, chronic customer issues and network performance issues
· Implement engineering specifications for software, hardware and feature upgrades
· Acceptance of new software and hardware before it is deployed in the network, including the design and execution of a test plan ensuring Network Management requirements are met
· Administer and deploy network element backup policies as part of preventive maintenance routines to ensure effective recovery of systems in emergency situations
· Perform proactive analysis of statistical data to identify potential fault trends and utilization issues.
· Represent Network Management at project meetings to ensure effective integration of new technologies or enhancements of existing equipment
· Post-secondary degree/diploma, specializing in telecommunications
· Minimum of 5-10 years’ experience in a Technical Assistance or Network Management environment within a transport environment
· Technical expertise and experience must include a solid understanding of the following technologies and protocols:
o SONET - OC192, OC48 OC12 & OC3
o Fibre Technology
o Fibre Ring Topologies
o Fibre Plant Policies
o Network Synchronization
o WAN/LAN internetworking principles and practices,
o Detailed knowledge of the following equipment would be an asset:
o Fujitsu FLMxxx, 4xxx, 7500 & 9500 platforms
o Fujitsu NetSmart
o Nortel OC192, Optera Metro 3500/5200 and OC48 platforms
o Nortel Perside Surveillance System
o Alcatel 16xx OC12/48 transport, 1301 NMX, 1631DACS & 1830 Platoforms
o NMS platforms : Netsmart, OneControl & PhM
o NEC ITS2400 OC48 System
o NEC RCID Surveillance System
o Tellabs Titan 5500 DACS
o Cisco 15454 SDH Equipment
o Symmetricom Synchronization Systems (Telecom Solutions and Austron)
o MegaSys Network Manager
· Proven troubleshooting skills and an ability to remain focused during emergency restorations of failed services.
· Proven communication, analytical, organizational, and decision making skills to access situations quickly and make informed decisions
· Ability to work efficiently and independently in high stress situations
· Core competencies should include integrity, accountability, adaptable, teamwork, and initiative and customer service orientated.
· PC literate including a working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite – XP & NT, UNIX, FTP, Telnet, C++, TL1 and Scripting
· Up-to-date knowledge of related emerging technologies
ASYNC (1), SONET (1), DWDM , mapping sts1 (1)