- Data Analysis and Modeling:
- Analyzing data requirements and designing data models to support business needs.
- Creating efficient data structures and relationships within Power BI.
- Report and Dashboard Development:
- Developing interactive and visually appealing reports and dashboards using Power BI.
- Customizing and optimizing reports for user-friendliness, and accessibility/AODA/WCAG 2.0 AA compliance
- Data Extraction and Transformation:
- Extracting data from various sources (e.g., databases, APIs) and transforming it for use in Power BI.
- Implementing ETL (Extract, Transform, Load) processes to prepare and clean data.
- Data Visualization:
- Selecting appropriate visualization techniques to effectively communicate data insights.
- Creating meaningful charts, graphs, and other data visualizations.
- DAX and Power Query:
- Writing and optimizing DAX (Data Analysis Expressions) formulas to perform complex calculations.
- Utilizing Power Query for data transformation and manipulation.
- Performance Optimization:
- Identifying and resolving performance bottlenecks in Power BI reports.
- Tuning queries and data models for improved speed and responsiveness.
- Security and Access Control:
- Implementing data security measures to ensure appropriate access to sensitive information.
- Working with our Operations team to manage user roles and permissions within Power BI using corporate best practices.
- Data Integration:
- Integrating Power BI with other data tools and platforms, such as SQL Server, Azure, or SharePoint.
- Creating seamless data flows and connections between systems.
- Collaboration and Documentation:
- Collaborating with agile project team of product owner, project manager, business analysts, data developers, user experience (UX) designers and business stakeholders to understand their requirements and provide insights.
- Documenting data sources, data models, and report development following corporate best practices and processes
- Troubleshooting and Support:
- Monitoring and maintaining Power BI solutions, resolving technical issues and providing user support.
- Keeping up to date with Power BI updates and best practices
Experience and Skill Set Requirements
Please note this role is part of a Hybrid Work Arrangement and resource(s) will be required to work at a minimum of 3 days per week at 315 Front Street West.
- Experience in Power BI software development and a number of years of practical experience (minimum 3+ years)
- Experience in other Microsoft BI stack e.g. SSAS, SSRS, SSIS
- Experience with scripting and programming
- Experience working with MS SQL Server on premise and within Azure Environment
- Experience with data-specific tasks including database management, SQL querying, data modelling, online analytical processing
- Experience with designing and mapping multi-dimensional data models, report models into business insights
- Experience building, testing and implementing complex reports, dashboards, and other objects
- Experience prototyping designs to develop business requirements for future implementation
- Ability to assist in the requirements gathering, analysis and subsequent developments
- Ability to conduct unit tests and assist in test preparations to ensure data integrity
- Work closely with Project Manager, UX/UI Designers, Quality Assurance Analysts and other Developers
- Experience working within an Agile software development life cycle, e.g. Scrum/Kanban
- Understanding of accessibility compliance requirements e.g. AODA, WCAG 2.0
- 3+ years using Power BI software development, including using DAX queries and functions
- Microsoft Azure services such as Power Apps, Power Automate, Azure Database, Azure Analysis Services, Azure Synapse, Customer Voice, etc.
- SQL Server
- Ability to translate wireframes, lo-fidelity and high-fidelity prototypes and business requirements into technical tasks towards functional reporting products or dashboards
- Ability to present technical requirements to the business
- Familiarity with accessibility compliance, usability testing e.g. AODA, WCAG 2.0
Nice to Have:
- Some knowledge of user interface design and user interaction design is an asset but not required.
- Knowledge of Golden Gate is an asset but not required