This role will focus on network infrastructure and security in highly available, large-scale environments. The primary responsibilities of this position are installing, supporting, and maintaining network switches, routers and Wi-Fi Access Points as well as performing routine testing, monitoring and backups of network configurations and servers.
It will also be responsible for managing network security including the 3rd party Security Services Provider and systems and documentation that support security compliance activities.
Primary Responsibilities / Duties
• Plans network architecture, implementation and support for existing and new infrastructure.
• Address day-to-day issues or requests in the network environment.
• Installs, configures, and maintains necessary hardware for high availability, resiliency, LAN/WLAN/WAN infrastructure.
• Install new software releases, system upgrades and patches on various network devices.
• Document, track, and monitor network related problems to ensure a timely resolution.
• Assist in administration, maintenance, development and implementation of policies and procedures for ensuring the security and integrity of information and availability of systems.
• Ensuring compliance with roll out timelines and operational uptime metrics.
• Provide on-call support when required.
WHS Responsibilities for Employees
All Employees have a responsibility to:
• Follow the training received when using all equipment, tools, materials or devices provided to protect their health & safety.
• Take care of their own Health & Safety and that of people who may be affected.
• Cooperate with others on Health & Safety and not interfere with or misuse anything provided for their own health, safety or welfare.
• Tell someone, their employer, supervisor or health & safety representative if they think the work or inadequate precautions are putting anyone’s health & safety at risk.
Behavioural Skills / Competencies Required
• Present and communicate information: speak clearly and fluently in English, express opinions, make presentations, be able to influence and facilitate discussion with customers and partners to achieve a set objective and create an inclusive environment for collaboration and co-design
• Apply expertise and technology: apply, develop and share detailed technical expertise, understand other organizational disciplines
• Deliver results and meet customer expectations: Focus on customer needs and satisfaction, set a standard of high-quality deliverables, achieve project goals
• Relationship building and networking: Building relationships, networking, relating to all levels within internal and external organizations
• Learn and research: Able to rapidly learn and research new technologies as required by the organization/industry
Technical Skills Required: Proficiency Level Required
Experience in data communications, network principles, traffic engineering, network automation and bandwidth capacity management : Advanced (Must be able to Coach Others)
Routing and switching, and firewall rule application experience Advanced (Must be able to Coach Others)
Security technologies and infrastructure – AAA, RADIUS, Firewalls, IDS, IPS, SIEM, ACL Intermediate (Must be able to Apply Regularly)
Wi-Fi communications protocols and technologies – 802.11 standards, MIMO, TKIP, AES, WPA2 and WPA3 Working Knowledge (Must have Some Experience)
Experience in a range of tools and systems such as VMWare, Zabbix, Ansible, Windows, Linux, Cisco Working Knowledge (Must have Some Experience)
Scripting languages such as Python an asset Basic Awareness (Must have Basic Understanding)
Formal Qualifications / Certificates Required
• Bachelor’s Degree in related discipline (Electrical or Computer Engineering, Computer Science)
• 5+ years of experience as a technical engineer in design, development and maintenance of medium to large scale telecommunications or enterprise network infrastructure
• Experience working with the transit industry
• Desired technical certifications: CWNA, CWDP, CWSP, CWAP, CCNA, CCNP, CompTIA Security+