This exciting role within our growing Platform Engineering group will provide you with the opportunity to make a lasting impact on the firm’s middleware environments.
As a Middleware Engineer -Toronto ONLY
· Provide subject matter expertise and support for our Apache Kafka environments.
· Act as a backup for the support and operations of our Solace messaging environments.
· Create and maintain documentation for middleware system configurations.
· Design and implement monitoring solutions for all Middleware components in use.
· Write code: whether it’s Python, Terraform, Ansible, or something else, writing code to automate and optimize deployment of middleware is a core part of this role.
· Work with application teams to develop integration patterns between disparate systems.
· Stay up-to-date with the latest trends and offerings within the middleware space and act as a champion of automation and high engineering standards across the organization.
· Troubleshoot and resolve technical problems in a timely manner.
· Advise on technical architecture for both new and existing middleware deployments and integrations.
· Train and mentor other engineers on the team and firm in areas of expertise.
· Participate in on-call rotation shared equally across members of the team.
Core Tech Stack:
· Middleware: Solace, Kafka (Confluent and MSK)
· Languages: Python, C++, C# .NET (Core and Framework), Java
· On-Premises Virtualization platform: VMware, Nutanix
· Public cloud: AWS and Azure
· CI/CD: TeamCity, Octopus, Jenkins
· Configuration Management: Puppet, Ansible
· Infrastructure Code: Terraform
· Application Management: Kubernetes, Docker, Helm
· OS: Linux and Windows
· Monitoring: Prometheus, Amazon CloudWatch, Azure Monitor, Logic Monitor
To be considered a good cultural fit, you must be:
· An ambitious self-starter, hungry and driven to learn
· A very strong and efficient communicator and collaborator
· Able to multi-task and excel in a high pressure, fast-paced trading environment
· Work well under minimal supervision to complete projects and tasks on time
· Able to think on your own to develop quick and sound solutions to complex problems
· Strong desire to solve problems with automation and self-service
To be considered a good technical fit, you must have:
· Bachelor’s degree in computer science, management information systems, or similar technical discipline; or equivalent experience
· 4+ years’ experience operating in a similar engineering role
· Expert knowledge in Apache Kafka (Confluent specifically is a plus)
· Experience managing vendor relationships
· Knowledge in Windows and/or Linux operating systems
· Strong scripting skills in Bash and/or Python
· Knowledge of Web Services Standards and Technologies (JSON, XML, Rest API, SOAP, etc.)
· Knowledge in networking and standard protocols (DNS/Mail/FTP/SSH, SNMP, etc)
· Experience creating runbooks and documentation for maintaining application documentation, project management templates, and asset management life cycle processes
Bonus points for:
· Experience with Solace messaging technologies
· Hands on experience working with container technologies
· Understanding of Kubernetes as a platform, including deployment of applications, usage of Helm
· Public cloud architecture and strategy planning experience
· Contributions to open source libraries, projects, or communities
· Any Kafka, Confluence, or Solace resource specializations or certifications
· Any AWS, Azure, or GCP resource specializations or certifications