Optical Transport Specialist
Key Responsibilities/Job Functions:
- Issue Network Planning Specifications (NPS) that clearly explain, justify, and initiate augmentations and reconfigurations to the ROGERS transmission network.
- Monitor transmission capacity usage and initiate timely upgrade plans.
- Create and maintain a capital budget for their area of responsibility.
- Maintain network planning documentation corresponding to their area of responsibility.
- Short-term and long-term IPRAN capacity planning based on demand and projected growth rates to support new Wireless technologies (LTE advanced, 5G).
- Knowledge of SQL/JAVA/Linux.
- Experience with APIs such as JSON/REST/SOAP.
- Familiarity with network technology such as IP/SONET/DWDM/Flexgrid/business grade ethernet services (MPLS/VPLS/EPL/EVPL).
- Working knowledge of a network inventory tool, such as Netcracker/Objectel/NRM.
- Experience with system integration and automation.
- Experience with tool migration.
- Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite especially Excel.
- Produce and present technical training/information to a wide audience.
- Undergraduate qualification, preferably in Electrical Engineering, Telecommunication, or Computer Engineering.
- 7 years experience in engineering/planning transmission networks.
- In depth understanding of various types of mobile backhaul topology.
- Knowledge of IPRAN capacity planning/dimensioning principles
- Experience in engineering and planning of L2/L3 IP networks a definite asset.
- Knowledge of IPRAN performance management protocols, particularly TWAMP.
- Advanced understanding of current and next generation wireline transport technologies: CWDM, DWDM, OTN, SONET, PON, Active and Fronthaul.
- Knowledge of current and next generation wireless transport technologies: licensed and unlicensed microware (MW), LOS and n/NLOS MW, P2P and P2MP MW, mmMW (E-band, V-band).
- Knowledge of synchronization protocol: PTP 1588, SyncE, NTP
- Knowledge of 2G/3G/4G/5G architecture and RAN elements
- Strong business writing skills, particularly in report writing.
- Advance level of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Access) and database software.
- Strong budgeting and planning abilities.
- Proven analytical, planning and forecasting skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Proven ability to work in cross-functional teams
SQL (3), PYTHON (3), GIS (3)