Seeking a Senior System Engineer who specializes in Windows and Virtualization to join the Delivery Infrastructure group. The position will provide direct governance of the steady state support provider. This includes day-to-day oversight, and development of ongoing operational support, maintenance planning, and defining environment best practices. The role will also provide L3 technical guidance during incidents affecting critical / vital systems, and where L1 and L2 require additional support. In addition to governance, The Senior System Engineer – Vmware is also responsible for effective development, provisioning, and installation/configuration build activity. Build activity will encompass project delivered, and uplift related for currency related activity.
MUST HAVE SKILLS:
- Excellent knowledge and hands-on experience in managing, administering, troubleshooting and maintenance of VMware vSphere 6.5+ systems with expertise in ESXi, NSX, and VROps.
- Provide technical support in planning and build within the areas of Wintel server administration; including VMWare, Host and Standalone hardware
- To deploy new systems and document the implementation thereof through a build book and design artifacts
- Lead the creation of functional and technical specifications documentation for the projects.
- Assist with ensuring operational readiness for project completion and handoff
- Create custom PowerShell scripts and test procedures to automate procedures and ensure operational resiliency
- Project Participation and guidance within there area of expertise ensuring best practices and policies are followed
- Keep up to date with the best practices in his/her area of expertise and recommend new solutions or process improvement opportunities.
- Provide L3 technical support for VMWare and OS administration
- Act as technical lead during incident management by setting priorities and resolving technical issues
- Provide and lead technical support issues and projects via cross training and knowledge transfer to colleagues
- Act as SME in your area, and to be a mentor for L1/L2 resources.
- Lead/Participate in presentations to recommend and explain the full solution to management.
- Work with technical team members to configure the hardware and software components of a solution.
NICE TO HAVE SKILLS:
- 10+ years of system administration experience with Windows Server 2008, 2012, 2016 and 2019 operating systems
- 8-10 years of VMWare administration experience with VMWare ESXi 5.1 and above
- 8-10 years experience in an infrastructure environment based on Intel servers, HP Hardware, IBM/Cisco hardware
- Installation of ESX Servers, vSphere Client and vCenter Server
- Experience in IT infrastructure management in Telecommunications Domain
- Provide L3 and L4 Support
- Software upgrade and maintenance – VMware (ESXi, vCenter, vSAN, Log Insight, vROPS)
- Hardware upgrade and maintenance – Ericsson, HPE and Cisco (firmware upgrade)
- Extensive experience in the area of Virtualization with VMware vSphere, ESXi, vCenter server and vConverter, vmware Orchastrator vCO , vCenter Operations Manager vCOps , vSphere Replicator, VMWare NSX
- Experience in deploying Virtual Machines VM's through Templates, Converting Physical to Virtual P2V and Virtual to Virtual V2V Machines using Platespin , Double take and Vmware convertor
- Extensive experience with the Active Directory tools
- Experience in Writing/ Maintaining troubleshooting scripts using ansible or blade logic for build operations environment to develop/test/implement automation tools.
- Implemented VDI Virtual desktop infrastructure technology
- Experience with VMware vCloud suite 5.1 involving vCD, vShield, vChargeback, vCAC, vCenter Operation Manager
- Experience in updating/upgrading ESX/ESXi servers, Virtual Center servers and windows virtual machines using VMware Update manager and manual upgrades
- Hands on experience preferred with HP Blades (c7000/virtual connects) and DL product line along with IBM BladeCenter T and X series
- Hands on/working experience with installing, configuring, troubleshooting, performance tuning and capacity planning a Wintel/VMWare environment
- Hands on/working experience with VMWare SRM
- Specialist in Microsoft Active Directory, Group Policy Objects, LDAP, ACL and NTFS in medium to large-scale environments
- Expert in maintaining server environments including security patches, hot fixes, service packs, intermediate versions / full version upgrades
- Good knowledge of network technologies including Cisco firewalls, routers, switches and security procedures (TCP / IP, DHCP, DNS, VPN, MPLS, WAN and LAN)
- Familiarity with FibreChannel based SAN, iSCSI, and NAS Storage technologies
- Good knowledge of systems security requirements and implement best practices.
- Post-Secondary degree or diploma, with a technical major, such as Engineering or Computer Science
- Strong scripting experience with Powershell is preferred
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Proven analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to recommend right sized technical solutions
- Demonstrated ability to make well-informed strategic decisions under pressure
- Highly motivated self-starter who takes initiative with minimal supervision along with the ability to effectively work in a collaborative team environment
- Strong ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks while meeting tight deadlines, goals and targets in a fast-paced work environment
- Methodologies and best practices such as ITIL, incident, problem and change management, systems development lifecycle
- Microsoft and VMWare Certifications considered
- Ability to work after-hours and travel as required