Reporting to the Director of Technology, the Network Administrator is responsible for designing, implementing, securing, and supporting network infrastructure. This includes routers, switches, wireless devices, Virtual Private Networks, Wide Area Network, Local Area Network, Internet services, firewalls, and anti-spam/virus devices.
The duties of this position will include, but are not limited to the following:
Plan and design network connectivity and configurations:
- Identifying and conceptualizing network information needs; evaluating existing system and software/hardware capabilities relative to those needs; and implementing changes/adjustments or making recommendations as appropriate.
- Researching emerging and leading-edge networking trends in preparation for eventual implementation. Evaluating new products and strategies that will need to be used to accommodate new designs and network growth.
- Working with product vendors to determine and evaluate solutions that accommodate our business requirements.
- Monitoring and analyzing system trends and developing resolution strategies for identified issues. This includes new physical locations, as well as logical growth of the network and increased traffic and data flows.
Install, monitor, troubleshoot and maintain network devices and equipment:
- Maintaining documentation regarding network configuration, operating procedures, and service records relating to network hardware and software.
- Selecting and documenting location of all network devices, wiring closets, access point locations, and WAN, LAN and Internet connections
- Designing and implementing logical and physical layouts of networks and attached equipment
- Developing standards and best practices for the organization and use of network resources.
- Managing multiple priorities simultaneously, determined by business impact, deadlines, and project timelines.
- Performing network management duties - upgrades, installation, testing, designing, developing, monitoring and tuning of network devices and software
- Installing and maintaining server rooms, switch closets, and wireless locations as well and environmental controls
- managing internet access, liaising with our internet service providers
- providing technical support to other IT professionals where in depth networking, sophisticated data communications and PC support are involved
Secures and protects networks, data and data communications by:
- Assuring system stability, security and maximum uptime.
- Monitoring access to system resources and track connectivity and security problems.
- Performing network troubleshooting to diagnose system problems using a variety of software and analysis tools; analyzing system functionality; identifying, locating, and resolving complex network problems to ensure minimal disruption of critical applications.
- Responsible to maintain multiple systems and their availability and is required on short notice to immediately repair critical business systems to make them available. This includes performing after hours support of the technology.
Qualifications - Required Knowledge and Skills
- Providing firewall, IDS and IPS management to proactively prevent and detect intrusion attempts both for Internet and Intranet traffic. This includes both inbound and outbound traffic
- Adhering to set IT Security Policies, Standards, and Guidelines while providing feedback and dialogue on continuous improvement as it relates to the security of infrastructure.
- Detecting, responding to, troubleshooting, and resolving ongoing security threats in collaboration with the IT Team
- Providing traffic shaping to manage network traffic to manage loads and attacks against services.
- Designing and maintaining accounts, authentication security activity for all network users and equipment
Must have demonstrably strong Technical skills and hands-on experience with computer and server operating systems, in particular.
- Managing and administering Active Directory (AD), group policy updates, AD site configuration and major version upgrades
- Managing end user accounts, permissions, access rights, and storage allocations in accordance with best-practices and information security guidelines.
- Managing Windows Server OS (2008 R2 to 2019), VMWare 5.x and above.
- Working knowledge of network protocols and security controls (Firewalls, IDS /IPS etc.)
- Managing Backup and Anti-virus software.
- Knowledge of PCI compliance
- Familiarity with managing Microsoft SQL Server
- Managing and Configuring Microsoft Windows 10,
- Proven proficiency with Microsoft Office 2019/365 software.
- Microsoft Office 365 Administration.
- Experience configuring and managing SharePoint and OneDrive.
- Familiarity with Windows deployment toolkit and remote management technologies.
- Managing and configuring wireless and wired LAN technologies, routing, switching, Firewalls, VPN, VoIP and analogue telephony.
The successful applicant must have:
- A degree in Computer Networking, Computer Science, Computer Engineering or related discipline.
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in the information technology field with direct experience in networking and interconnecting of multiple sites.