The Procurement Sourcing Strategy Manager (PSSM) is a mid to senior role within the procurement team. The PSSM has accountability for developing, prioritizing and successfully negotiating and implementing holistic sourcing strategies, agreements, and commercials within the assigned spend category which will optimize cost and flexibility, drive ongoing service level performance, quality delivery and innovation from the supply-base, and maximize overall Savings throughout the sourcing life cycle, while appropriately identifying and mitigating relevant risks
The PSSM will use his/her in-depth market knowledge across the assigned category and use their structured spend analysis capabilities to develop and disseminate world-class approaches to spend management and procure-to-pay processes. Additionally, the PSSM will provide counsel and support to other procurement team members, and will present strategic findings and recommendations to members of the leadership team.
Furthermore, the PSSM will support Procurement in all aspects of strategic category and supplier management and optimization, ensuring strategy development and evolution in close collaboration with the leadership teams responsible for other spend categories as well as with the internal business stakeholders of the assigned category. In the role, the PSSM will work with his/her category peers), HR, Finance, and relevant stakeholders to ensure that services are procured from the most appropriate and cost-effective source of supply, and will at times lead or support high-priority sourcing activities on ancillary category teams to help balance workload demands.
Through regular and corporate-wide internal stakeholder relationship management, the PSSM will proactively identify and develop internal sourcing funnel opportunities, and will deliver on such opportunities through the development of end-to-end realization of appropriate RFx, and other relevant sourcing, pre-sourcing and post-sourcing activities throughout the source-to-pay lifecycle. Where appropriate, the PSSM will recommend necessary process, systems, templates, and resourcing changes to maximize the value-add of the assigned category team.
• Develop and implement effective category strategy that maximizes value-for-money, service satisfaction, and compliance
• Accountable for all strategic sourcing events and efforts in the assigned spend category (both internally to business unit leaders and externally to service suppliers)
• Maximize spend under management and competitive sourcing through close, proactive, regular stakeholder and supplier engagement, education, and funnel management
• Create and lead medium to large, medium to high complexity strategic sourcing initiatives to optimize category spend and minimize related risks
• Accountable for successful delivery of strategic sourcing events per negotiations objectives and outcomes, incl. sourcing business case and benefits realization, regular supplier performance reviews, additional business development.
• Effectively lead, direct, and appropriately leverage and prioritize workload capacity against funnel of sourcing events and source-to-pay activities
• Provide strategic and market insights on transactional movements in annual spend associated with the specific category and/ or with strategic suppliers within the assigned sourcing category, and adjust sourcing strategy and approaches accordingly.
• Create/ deliver/ manage strategic plan and approach to achieving Savings targets, track and manage results, take remedial actions, present updates, analysis and recommendations to leadership.
• Maintain and disseminate latest category related market trends and insights
• Mentor and educate other team members on procurement concepts, financial analysis, strategic sourcing techniques and practices, and stakeholder engagement
• Provide strategic and thought leadership, direction and project oversight to cross functional project teams during prioritization and implementation of special projects aimed at improving category enabling processes, systems, templates, etc.
• Deep knowledge of [assigned sourcing category], critical terms & conditions, and market commercials as they relate to sourcing Strategic sourcing training
• Familiarity with sourcing and procure-to-pay frameworks, approaches, methodologies, and strategies (incl. Supplier tiering), preferable in professional services or ancillary categories
Required Skills & Abilities:
• Superior ability to influence and build relationships (both internally and externally) at all levels
• Superior negotiation skills
• Proven leadership, consultative and motivational skills
• Strong project management skills; ability to effectively lead, manage and facilitate small to medium size, cross-functional project teams
• Strong quantitative and analytical skills; demonstrated data analysis capability
• Strong financial and financial modeling/ business case acumen
• Ability to work effectively and comfortably with executives in a large organization
• Excellent problem solving, strategic thinking, planning and decision making skills
• Ability to maintain perspective, confidence, and resilience in face of difficult contract negotiations, tight deadlines and unclear or diverging client expectations
• Superior organizational, prioritization and time management skills. Ability to multi-task and re-prioritize quickly, and to deliver in over-subscribed, resource-constrained environment
• Strong verbal and written English communication and presentation skills
Required Professional Designation/Certification:
• Bachelors degree (MBA would be an asset). Relevant experience in a large consulting firm a definite plus
• PMAC designation would be an asset
• Membership in relevant procurement related associations/ interest groups (SIG, others) preferred
• Experience in account management or business development related positions a plus
• Experience working on business development/ sell side of professional services for a major professional service provider (advisory firm or systems Integrator) a plus
• Experience with e.Sourcing, Spend Analysis, Contract Management, Vendor Management, Procure-to-Pay tools, procurement and finance related SAP (or other similar ERP system) modules
• 7+ years of experience in external labour/ professional services sourcing/ procurement/ vendor management line function or sourcing/ procurement related consulting/ advisory
• Strategic sourcing experience
• Category spend management experience, incl. target setting, tracking + reporting
• Effective, prioritized sourcing opportunity identification, development + execution experience
• Advanced services (including services reselling) contracting and negotiations training and experience, and superior professional services negotiations skills + track record
• Intimate familiarity with master service agreements
• Experience negotiating, papering, operationalizing, and enforcing effective, innovative, scope-appropriate contract SLA frameworks
• Proven experience planning, structuring, and executing sourcing deals and leading major end-to-end sourcing events, with on-time delivery of savings objectives
• Proven Supplier Relationship Management (SRM) and contract compliance management experience
• Risk management experience
• Extremely strong track record of highly effective, proactive in-house stakeholder management, influence, and collaboration at all seniority levels within a large corporation and a complex, fast-paced, capacity constrained environment
• Experience leading others
• Experience preparing business cases